Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
Frequently Asked Question :: Resource Page
Catholic Pastoral Centre
1155 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario, M4T 1W2
Telephone: (416) 934-3400, ext. 511
Fax: (416) 934-3444
Our mission is to promote the growth of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in the Archdiocese of Toronto and in Canada, and to ensure the integrity of its programs.
The Good Shepherd Catechesis is an approach to the religious formation/development of children from birth through adolescence that was established in the Archdiocese of Toronto more than twenty-five years ago. The Good Shepherd Catechesis highlights essential aspects of the Christian message that nurture the child’s need to love and be loved and the child’s capacity to enjoy God’s presence in her/his life. It is rooted in the Bible, the liturgy of the Church, and the educational principles of Maria Montessori. One of the key features of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is the use of catechetical materials specially designed for children. Another feature is the use of a prepared environment, called the Atrium, to foster children's religious growth.
Key areas include:
- Encouraging, supporting and assisting parishes presently offering the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Providing initial formation of catechists through the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Certificate Program (Archdiocese of Toronto/University of St. Michael’s College)
- Encouraging, supporting and assisting catechists through ongoing formation and collaboration in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS)
- Assisting all parishes to be aware of and assisted in implementing the CGS in their parish
- Continuing communication and collaboration with various ecclesiastic, catechetical and educational institutions and organizations in the Archdiocese and beyond