Cardinal Thomas Collins, Archbishop of Toronto, is known to be an avid reader and, over the years, he has recommended a number of books while preaching at St. Michael’s Cathedral Basilica. With summer right around the corner, we wanted to provide a list of some of the Cardinal’s recent book recommendations. Whether you are a Catholic scholar or someone seeking to go deeper into your faith, the Cardinal hopes these books will offer some spiritual nourishment for everyone.
1. The Bible (especially the Gospels)
2. Catechism of the Catholic Church
3. Confessions by Augustine of Hippo
4. Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales
5. Treatise on the Love of God by Francis de Sales
6. Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
7. Father Brown Stories by G. K. Chesterton
8. Heart Of The Redeemer by Timothy T. O'Donnell
9. The Heart: An Analysis of Human and Divine Affectivity by Dietrich von Hildebrand
10. The Didache: The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles by Joseph B. Lumpkin
11. Parochial and Plain Sermons by J. H. Newman
Written by Moonjun Alphonse Choi, a seminarian at St. Augustine’s Seminary in Toronto, Ont.